12 August 2012

Cross It Off The List

July 4, 2012 - My first half-marathon!

Thanks to my sweet and experienced husband, I had some tips for getting ready for race, including some great training and day-of advice.  I got to run what's been nicknamed "The Fleet Feet Flat" on Sauvie Island near Portland.  (Fleet Feet is a running store in Portland that sponsors the race)

The course was beautiful and flat, so all that running in the humidity of MS and then NC on hills paid off!

Thomas volunteered at the race, so we rode the shuttle to the island early in the morning

I was really surprised how easy the race seemed.  Thomas had told me that the last 3 miles are really hard, and I kept waiting for that to happen, but it never really did.  Only after the race did he tell me that he was "overpreparing" me to make it easier.  What a guy.
Finishing time:  2:15:45!  I has very pleased to be under 2:30.
I walked quickly at the water stops every few miles so that I could actually get the water and gatorade in my mouth rather than splashing it all over my face, but other than that I ran the whole time.


Sauvie Island is full of family-owned farms.  As a prize for the runners, some of the farmers provided strawberries for delicious strawberry shortcake!  I ate 2 helpings.


Now to find a place to put my medal and to choose my next race!  I definitely want to do it again!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

2 comments:

The Nelsons said...

Way to go!

mom slawson said...

We're so proud of you, Cristy !!!