09 January 2008

Plans, Anyone?

In Russia it's very rare for someone to make plans for more than the next day. Things are pretty random and spontaneous over here. I'm such a planner that I thought that this cultural difference would be difficult for me, but actually it's not too bad.

We did however make plans about 3 months ago for something really, Really, REALLY exciting! We have to leave the country every 6 months for registration (I'd explain this, but to western thinking, it really just doesn't make sense, so I'm not going to bother with it for right now). Thomas and I looked at all our options and finally decided on Germany. So next week at this time we will be in Berlin, having a little bit of a break from slavic culture. I think it will be nice to have some time away. We've heard that when you are actually out of the country for a while that the language will often sink in a little bit better, like letting your brain soak it all in. So, yes, the break will be nice. And we get to stay in a really nice place, which will be restful, too and we get to celebrate my birthday, and I think Thomas and I will get to have a date because MY PARENTS WILL BE THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When we started planning this about 3 months ago, I was looking forward to it. I don't think that I realized how much I was being influenced by Russian culture however, until I started to get really excited about a week ago. It was so far away that I would forget about our trip. But now, I can almost feel the hugs that I'm going to get squished in. I can't wait to hear what Mama and Daddy will say when they feel how heavy Isaiah has become and see first-hand what he can do. I wonder how he'll react to them at first, having only seen them on the internet (thank you, Skype!).

So now, in a more-Russian fashion than I ever would have imagined, I am counting down the days until I get to see these 2 wonderful people!

SEVEN

(now all we have to do is convince the rest of the family the trip isn't too bad, or maybe they'll believe more easily after my parents get back)

1 comment:

e said...

Oh I am SO Excited about this for you!!!! I know it will be wonderful!!

I'm working on a banner, I'll write you back soon!