28 October 2012

On The Other Side

A couple months ago we visited Wyoming for a wedding.  It was great fun!  During the preparation for the festivities I found myself out and about with the kids, and we stopped for lunch at a fast food place, sadly not our favorite chicken place, since those aren't too common out this way.

Anyway.  The kids and I sat near a sweet elderly couple with whom they both flirted shamelessly, which added to the fun of our lunch.

As the couple prepared to leave, the wife came over to chat for a minute.  I expected some familiar comments like, "Wow, you sure have your hands full" or "I bet they keep you busy" or perhaps questions about Isaiah's need for a wheelchair.

Instead, I heard, "I just wanted to tell you that you're doing a great job."

A little confused, I think I managed to say thank you.  The lady then told me a little of her story.  She and her husband had had a daughter with special needs, who has passed away a few years ago.  They also had 2 other daughters.  She said that she understood the extra care, energy and focus that having these special children required, and she wanted to encourage me in the care of my sweet children.

I don't know this lady's name, but I do know that I will never forget her.

I really appreciate that she took the time to come over and speak to us and give me those words of encouragement.  I think of her often.


But who couldn't love hanging out with these two?

1 comment:

Megan said...

Isn't it funny that just what we always tell our kids (you can do it, you're doing great, that was amazing) is the very thing we mommas need to hear, too??