05 May 2010

How Do They Do It?

Sometimes I read Scripture or look at people of faith around me and wonder, How do they do it?  How do they keep on going in difficult circumstances?  Don't they get weary?

Well, probably they do get weary, being imperfect beings and all; but I think today I read something that reminds me of the answer to those questions:

For we who live are constantly being delivered over to death for Jesus' sake, so that the life of Jesus also may be manifested in our mortal flesh.  So death works in us, but life in you.  But having the same spirit of faith, according to what is written, 'I believed, therefore I spoke', we also believe, therefore we also speak, knowing that He who raised the Lord Jesus will raise us also with Jesus and will present us with you.  For all things are for your sakes, so that the grace which is spreading to more and more people may cause the giving of thanks to abound to the glory of God.
II Corinthians 4:11-15


Since I recently finished When People are Big and God is Small by Ed Welch, I am probably more likely to pick up on the theme of fearing God rather than man while reading the Bible.  But I do think that this is a huge part of what Paul is saying here.  His ultimate goal was for the glory of God and for the spiritual growth of the Christians to whom he ministered.  He wasn't looking to see what the churches could do for him.  He wasn't looking to spread his own fame or to be liked by everyone.  He had his eyes and heart on God and his life reveals that us in all that he was able to endure for God's glory and God's people.  After all, He was serving the God Who defeated death!

I always fear that I'm taking something out of context or reading into Scripture rather than learning from it when I post about what I've read, so please feel free to correct me if I am wrong in this passage!  But I pray that I am compelled like Paul to live for God and other people because I fear God and love people rather than need people.

To God be the Glory!


1 comment:

java girl said...

I think this was a very well put thought! This is the second time I have heard of this book. Is it good?