29 May 2010

Here's What Happened--Part II

Monday, May 24, 2010--
I woke up feeling really shaky and strange with a bad headache.  This is when my Russian vocabulary began to get stretched!  My head wasn't exactly working all that clearly in English, and the nurses and doctors don't speak English.  Apparently the medicine was causing me to feel sick, and then it caused me to lose my breakfast, yuck!

About an hour after the medicine finished running through the IV, I started feeling contractions again.  They were stronger than the night before and coming about every 4 1/2 minutes, lasting for a minute or slightly longer.  I could literally see them happening as my stomach would change shape from an evenly rounded mound to an almost pointed mountain!  I had no idea that would happen, and it was kind of fun to watch.

Thomas went and found the nurse to tell her what was going on.  The nurse and doctor came pretty quickly to check things out, and the doctor ordered magnesium since the first medicine had made me so sick.  She wanted to do an ultrasound.  She then asked me if I wanted to have the baby naturally.  I had seen this doctor one time about a month before, so I wasn't surprised that she didn't remember the details we had shared at that time.  At least I had met my delivery doctor at all, which is more than I could say for the doctor who delivered Isaiah!  Anyway, I reminded her about my previous c-section with a vertical incision, and she said, What!  They did that in America!  You absolutely can't have this baby naturally!

She continued the magnesium, hooked me up to a monitor for the baby's heartbeat and to record the contractions, while she arranged for an ultrasound.  I don't think the ultrasound technician was in the clinic yet.  We never got the ultrasound.

For an hour I continued to have contractions, and they continued to get stronger and become painful.  Thomas went back for the doctor.  She took one look at the read out from the monitor and said, Ok, we're doing this today.  Get ready for surgery.

Thomas and I were excited to meet our little girl!

And since I actually remember what happened during surgery, I'm going to write another post about that, I also have to go pump now to feed Nadia in a little bit. :)  Yet again, to be continued....


Alexa said...

Thanks for sharing your experience! I can't imagine having to use a foreign language while delivering - I could barely speak English. Kind of funny - I'm reading this while I pump for Beckett. Pumping mommas unite!

Erin Schwant said...

I'm glued to this! I'm with Lex, can't imagine trying to communicate everything in Russian during that time - or any time for that matter!!

So glad you remember Nadia's birth! Can't wait to hear about it!

Off to pump for Charlie...3 pumping mamas!